Monday 16 March 2015

A West Somerset Break - Part 3


The next part of the plan on our day out in Devon was to visit Woody Bay Steam Railway. Having told Nigel (owner of The Langbury) what we were planning he suggested we drove through the Valley of Rocks and took the toll road to Woody Bay village before going onto the railway. Having last visited the Valley of Rocks almost 50 years ago with my parents I was anxious to take him up on this suggestion. It is a stunning place and one which we would like to go back to very soon to spend more time exploring as we didn't have too much time as we needed to get to Woody Bay to catch the train!







Can you spot one of the goats that frequent the Valley of Rocks?










A bit further on we got to the toll road. Wow! is the only way I can describe the single track road, stunning views, hairpin bends, steep cliffs and sheer drops into the sea. It was a challenging drive especially when we met a car coming in the opposite direction but one I wouldn't have missed for the world. It was good to go somewhere I had never been before.











Eventually we reached the Woody Bay Railway, this is very much a work in progress, they are trying to rebuild the line from Lynton to Barnstaple. There is just a short stretch open at the moment but it was a very scenic ride. Note I don't have any photographs of the train - I left that to the men!


We drove back to Blue Anchor across the top of moor and over Dunkery Beacon (although it wasn't even worth stopping to admire the view from the highest part of Exmoor as the visibility was very poor by this time) and finished off this long day by having a lovely relaxed meal at a cozy pub - the White Horse Inn in Washford - a truly wonderful day.


On Sunday the plan was to ride the West Somerset Railway, probably the best thing we could do considering the bitterly cold icy wind that was blowing. I am not really into trains but I do love this line, it is like going back in time about 50 years and has lots of atmosphere and lovely scenery, always some wildlife to watch (mainly pheasants but we did spot a heron and some buzzards) and lots of lovely lambs gambolling about. The banks were also covered in wild primroses which was lovely to see. Again I left the photography to the men and was happy to take it easy after some challenging driving the day before - no 1 in 4 hills and hairpin bends for me today!


Unfortunately Monday's weather was still very overcast so we decided to drive home during the morning rather than explore and drive home later. Despite the weather we all enjoyed this break and cannot wait to visit West Somerset again, which we are planning to do in October (if not before)!


12 comments:

  1. Ooh those rocks are beautiful - my kind of place! Somewhere else to add to 'the list'!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounds as if your list is like mine but we keep being drawn back to favourite locations so it is going to take ages to get through my bucket list of places I want to visit.

      Delete
  2. Another lovely post! The Valley of the Rocks is so dramatic and some of those drops are very high indeed - worth it for the views, though. Your photos really capture the place - i feel like I've been on a mini-holiday :)
    Cathy x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jan, I've so enjoyed the photos of your trip tow West Somerset! Beautiful landscape and oh, those bird photos from your second posting were just precious! Happy 30th to your son--they do grow up so quickly, don't they? My oldest turns 33 on Saturday--that makes me feel very old :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Blog hopped and found you! WOW! What amazing photography, such gorgeous pics, I loved the robin, the snowdrops and the hills. I read right back to your first post so interesting.. Love the Attic24 ripple blanket. I made her bright colourful one several years ago.Hope to pop back and see what else you get up to.
    Happy hooking and stitching! Chris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind comments Chris. I do read your blog and admire your work. I must put your blog on my blog reader. xx

      Delete
  5. Fantastic views and stunning photographs as usual and again thank you for allowing me into your world. I hate to say it but my eldest son will be 41 this year and the youngest of the 4 has just turned 34!! Makes me feel 'really old' but wouldn't have it any other way love them to bits as you do your sons. thank you again Jan xxx Chris

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoyed your short break in Somerset, what a shame the weather wasn't better. Your B&B looks lovely and the breakfast so tasty. It's many years since we visited Watersmeet the river looks as if it is flowing quite fast! I would love to visit the " Valley of Rocks!. We are heading for Devon soon and are planning to visit the North coast. Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sarah, make sure Watersmeet and the Valley of Rocks are on your itinerary when you visit North Devon, both stunning locations even I overcast conditions. xx

      Delete
  7. Jan, your photos ae beautiful and the colours so rich. The views take my breath away
    and I love your last photos with the mist.

    luv
    irene
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW,Stunning pics.My husband is a Sheffield lad.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oops LOL,sorry wrong blog.

    ReplyDelete