Wednesday 16 September 2015

I love my Fitbit!


Just before I went on holiday I purchased a Fitbit to help encourage me with my walking. Would it help? Would it be a waste of money? Was I just jumping on the bandwagon because a lot of my friends had one?


I can honestly say it has been worth every penny, it has motivated me and encouraged me and challenged me.






I set a target of 10,000 steps a day and have managed to reach and succeed that on several occasions now. It really does spur you on to do those extra steps that perhaps you wouldn't normally bother with.


Last week my work colleagues organised a Fitbit Workweek Hustle to see who could complete the most steps from Monday to Friday. I knew I wouldn't come first but I didn't want to come last so that really drove me forward, so much so that I even found myself walking round the block (not a scenic walk at all) to increase my number of steps. Not that I am competitive or anything!!! I am pleased to say that I came fourth and definitely not last.






I cannot walk the long distances that I have done in the past, about 4-5 miles is my limit these days but I can honestly say that my life and sense of well-being has improved greatly this year and walking and enjoying the countryside has contributed a lot to this.






I have always enjoyed walking, I was brought up to walk and appreciate the countryside by my Dad from a very young age but in latter years as my life became more hectic with family and work and I put on far too much weight my walking activities decreased until this time last year I couldn't walk 100 yards without getting out of breath.






Last October I had a wake up call, I turned 60 years of age and was very overweight. I realised that unless I done something about it I would never be able to get out and enjoy our beautiful countryside again and would probably end up hardly being able to put one foot in front of the other. There was always a reason why it wasn't the right time to lose weight and so it went on.








After taking semi-retirement at the end of last year I knew the time was right. I was in a better place, enjoying having more time to spend with my DH and made a decision that once our new kitchen had been installed and I didn't have to live on take-away meals I would go back to Slimming World and start walking again.






I started SW at the end of March and to date have lost 2 st 10 lbs. Part of the SW regime is Body Magic so I started walking again. It really hurt to start with but gradually it has become easier. I still have a lot of weight to lose but I am spurred on by the success I have had this far. DH and I have really enjoyed getting out and about exploring the countryside and we both feel so much better for it.






We are lucky to have some wonderful countryside to walk in not too far away from home and we always have a camera to hand when we are walking. As our range of hobbies includes birdwatching, natural history and photography this walking malarky is satisfying a lot of our interests as well as keeping us fit and healthy. A win win situation.


Photos: Stockbridge Down 6.9.15, a walk we undertook on our 35th Wedding Anniversary.






























5 comments:

  1. Hello Jan

    Oh I am so pleased to read your uplifting post, - very well done. Yes there is nothing like a good walk to blow the cobwebs away, and you live in such a beautiful part of the country. Autumn is almost here with its rich vibrant colours, and the countryside at it best.

    Your photos are breathaking and the scenery is beautiful. I so look forward to seeing your Autumnal photos.
    Many congratulations on being fourth.

    luv
    irene
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are the second person who blogs who I have read recently that has bought a Fitbit, and you are tempting me to get one. It definitely gives you the incentive to go that bit further. Well done! Xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Jan!
    Love your beautiful pictures!
    Thank You~

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay, good for you Jan. I'm so pleased you are feeling happier and fitter. Your photos are gorgeous and a belated Happy Anniversary to you.
    Jacquie xxx

    ReplyDelete