Friday 9 December 2016

Five On Friday - crochet mania!


Hello, Five On Friday time again hosted by Amy at Love Made My Home


Well my post this week is going to be dominated by crochet, I have been crocheting up a storm just lately. I am pleased to say that I have now completed fourteen blankets for SIBOL (Sunshine International Blankets of Love) and I will be taking these to the residential care home this afternoon.



My fourteen SIBOL blankets (2016)


They have now been packaged and given names - yes, SIBOL blankets have to have a name. I struggled with this bit but thankfully some of my Facebook friends came up with some suggestions to help me. They also all have a crochet butterfly attached (the SIBOL logo).


I will show you the last three blankets which have all been completed in the last couple of weeks.


I spent nearly all of Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday working on number 14 with breaks only for eating meals to get this completed on time. I have to say I am really pleased with how it has ended up, it was probably the most time-consuming of them all - I do like to make life difficult for myself. I have called this one Jan's Garden.



Pattern: Painted Roses by Sandra at Cherry Heart


This is blanket number 13, a straight forward ripple pattern for this one which I can crochet whilst watching TV or listening to music/podcasts or even reading on my Kindle. I have named this one Rippling Brook.


Pattern: Neat Ripple by Lucy from Attic24


Number 12 has been called Fields of Gold, I came up with this name as I was listening to Alexander Armstrong singing Fields of Gold whilst I was working on the blanket and the colours just seemed to fit.



Pattern: Cosy Stripe by Lucy from Attic 24


So what else have I been crocheting lately? 


One of my friends has been without heating as her boiler has given up the ghost so I made her these and hopefully they gave her a bit of comfort.



No pattern for these but inspired by Heather from The Patchwork Heart

I am taking a bit of a break from crocheting blankets to do a few projects that have been calling to me but I know I will be itching to get back to blankets before too long. 


Please visit Amy's link up where there are lots more Five On Friday posts to discover.




                   
Love Made My Home




19 comments:

  1. The blankets are fabulous. What an achievement making them all to gift, I'm sure the care home and residents will be thrilled to bits with them. What a lovely gesture making the hot water bottle covers for your friend, an awful time of year for the boiler to break down so I bet she was glad of a hot water bottle or two.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful blankets, all with wonderful names. I was also impressed by the bottle covers too. Looking forward to seeing what your next project will be.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I love Jan's garden best, but all really beautiful. I'm amazed you can read and crochet at the same time! Look forward to seeing what your future projects will be. Have a lovely weekend. B x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your painted roses blanket made me gasp, it is beautiful Jan. The Hot water bottle covers are brilliant too, I bet your friend was delighted with them. Have a lovely weekend xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jan's garden blanket is so pretty, I love the colours you have used and the hot water bottle covers are fab:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Absolutely marvellous! Blankets are just irresistible aren't they. In a couple of weeks you can start next year's 14! x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those blankets are beautiful and I bet they will be very much enjoyed by the residents. I love the names. What a thoughtful gift for your friend as well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful blankets - and the hot water bottles are so sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Jan how wonderful!!!! I am in awe of the beauty of your work and the amount you have done this year. It is wonderful and you are an inspiration to us all!! Having a little experience of nursing homes from a residents point of view, I am sure that knowing that someone cared enough to make them something special will really have touched the hearts of all of the recipients. You are so very special for having done this. The hottie covers are lovely too and will also have cheered your friend a lot I am sure!! Thank you for being wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful crocheting! I love Jan's Garden - so colourful and beautiful. I love your hot water bottle covers. They aren't easy to find over here in America, but I remember having one as a child and on cold nights I still miss it! I think we had them because we had no heat in our bedroom. Brrrr.

    Happy Five on Friday

    ReplyDelete
  11. That Painted Rose blanket is really beautiful! Have a nice weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jan's Garden is my favorite as well but they are all lovely. I especially like the little butterfly you added to most of them!

    ReplyDelete
  13. They each looked lovely as you did them but seeing all of them together like that is simply stunning. My favourite are the two bottom corner ones - the teal and burgundy and the seaside blues and sand colours. Also think the one on third row down with the diagonals going in different directions is very clever.
    Hope you are both well. Keith is not too good, saw the doctor last Monday and was referred to hospital - he has an appointment this coming Monday and the speed of that tells me something is wrong. Please keep your fingers crossed for him . Love Helen x

    ReplyDelete
  14. They are AmAzInG!!!! You must be so pleased with yourself, well done xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Jan, I so admire your work! Thanks for sharing. You inspire me. I crocheted a little wreath ornament this week and knit a little washcloth...emphasis on little :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Such a lot of work and love! Number 14 is just gorgeous. Love the hot water bottle covers.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh, they are all so special, Jan! I think they will be bringing so much love and comfort to their lucky new owners :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm impressed. You're not only a gifted crafter, you're one of Santa's best elves. I'm sure you put plenty of stars in your crown with all this work.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I missed this post somehow Jan. All your blankets are fabulous and I am sure they are much appreciated by their recipients. The love crocheted into them shines out. I love the Painted Roses pattern which will have to join my to do list.

    ReplyDelete